We are pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Laura Deeter as Professor in the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences (CFAES) Department of Horticulture and Crop Science (HCS) and the Sandy and Andy Ross Endowed Director of the Chadwick Arboretum and Learning Gardens effective August 15, 2023, pending Board of Trustees approval.
Dr. Deeter earned a B.S. and Ph.D. in Landscape Horticulture from The Ohio State University College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences. Most recently, Dr. Deeter has served as Professor in the Division of Horticultural Technologies at the Ohio State Agricultural Technical Institute (ATI) on our CFAES Wooster campus. Laura began her career within CFAES as a Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant on the Columbus campus in 1995, moving to the CFAES Wooster campus in 2000, to serve as Assistant Professor in the Division of Horticultural Technologies at ATI. Dr. Deeter was promoted to Associate Professor in 2008, and Professor in 2014.
Dr. Deeter has been awarded the ATI Distinguished Teaching Award three times, the OSU Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching, the Perennial Plant Association Teaching Award, the American Horticulture Society Teaching Award, Perennial Plant Association Service Award, a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Ohio Landscape Association, and Professor of the Year from Instructure.
As Professor in HCS and the Sandy and Andy Ross Endowed Director of the Chadwick Arboretum and Learning Gardens, Dr. Deeter will:
- teach undergraduate courses in the areas of landscape design and management; propagation; and courses in woody and herbaceous plant identification; as well as mentoring undergraduate students.
- serve as advisor for arboretum operations and planning including oversight for plant collection(s) and garden planning.
- lead arboretum initiated educational programming and connect departments/units/faculty with teaching, Extension, & research opportunities using the arboretum.
- develop opportunities and programs to maximize the use of the Chadwick Arboretum as a living classroom within the campus and the broader community.
- mentor undergraduate interns and Chadwick Arboretum staff.
- maintain and build connections with existing and new donors, collaborators, and volunteers including the Master Gardeners.
In her role as Chadwick Arboretum Director, Dr. Deeter will report to Dr. Graham Cochran as a member of the CFAES Operations team.”
Please join us in congratulating Dr. Laura Deeter on this new role as Professor in HCS and the Sandy and Andy Ross Endowed Director of the Chadwick Arboretum and Learning Gardens.
Dr. Graham Cochran and Dr. Doug Karcher