St. Louis, MO | October 29 - November 1, 2023
The 2023 ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meeting was a success. We often refer to it as The Tri-Societies Meeting, since it's a combination of the American Society of Agronomy (ASA), Crop Science Society of America (CSSA), and Soil Science Society of America (SSSA).
Regardless of what you call the meeting it was an action + knowledge packed adventure for the many HCS students, visiting scholars, staff & faculty who were able to attend the meeting this fall!
Check out a few of their highlights...
HCS Undergraduate STUDENT HIGHLIGHTS
The meeting has a wide variety of experiences tailored specifically for undergraduate students through the Students of Agronomy, Soil & Environmental Sciences (SASES) program. SASES activities range from networking events to technical sessions to the annual quiz bowl. A dozen of our undergraduate students, many of whom are involved in the Crops and Soils Club were able to attend the meeting this year.
- In the Crops Judging Showcase, Grant DeBruin placed 3rd overall.
- In the Club Poster Contest, Ashley Bergman & Tim Sullivan presented.
- In the Agronomic Quiz Bowl, a full team competed.
Our Crops and Soils Club is also gearing up to host the 2024 Spring SASES Meeting right here in Columbus!
Additionally, Cassie Stachler, an undergraduate student conducting research in Dr. Marília Chiavegato's Lab, presented on "Associated Effects of Grazing and Inundation in Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Southern Ohio".
HCS Graduate STUDENT HIGHLIGHTS
In the Wheat Initiative Agronomists community of the American Society of Agronomy, Prabath Senanayaka Mudiyanselage, a MS student advised by Dr. Laura Lindsey, won third place for his presentation on the "Influence of Soft Red Winter Wheat Planting Date and Seeding Rate on Grain Yield and Profitability".
Additional graduate student presentations included:
- Fabiano Colet (PhD Student in Dr. Laura Lindsey's Lab)
- David Zelaya (MS Student in Dr. Laura Lindsey's Lab)
- Taylor Dill (PhD Student in Dr. Laura Lindsey's Lab)
- Celeste Nye (MS Student in Dr. Laura Lindsey's Lab)
- Alex Mammana (PhD Student in Dr. Marília Chiavegato's Lab)
- Wanderson Novais (PhD Student in Dr. Alex Lindsey's Lab)
- Anu Neththasinghe Appuhamilage (MS Student in Dr. Alex Lindsey's Lab)
- Bishal Dhakal (PhD Student in Dr. Osler Ortez's Lab)
- Jonah VanRoekel (MS Student in Dr. Osler Ortez's Lab)
- Andres Velasco (MS Student in Dr. Osler Ortez's Lab)
Presented on "Double Crop Sunflower As an Agronomic Option in Ohio"
- Tyler VanLandingham (MS Student in Drs. Dominic Petrella & Edward Nangle's Lab)
HCS STAFF & FACULTY HIGHLIGHTS
A wide variety of our staff and faculty members attended the conference to advise their students, present their own research, collaborate, and keep up to date in their respective industries from turfgrass to soybeans!
A special talk was given by Dr. Marília Chiavegato remembering, Dr. Mark Sulc, at the C6 division Forage and Grazinglands Business meeting.
Dr. Laura Lindsey’s Double Crop Calculator Tool won the American Society of Agronomy Education and Extension Section’s Educational and Outreach Award for the Digital Decision Aids category (co-authors were Alex Lindsey, Greg McGlinch, and Eric Richer).
One of Dr. Laura Lindsey's co-authored Extension publications also received an award (co-authors were Emma G. Matcham, Shawn P. Conley, and Rachel A. Vann). Worth noting, Dr. Emma Matcham is an alumnus of our program, she received her MS degree in 2019 and is now an assistant professor at the University of Florida.
Additional staff presentations included:
- Dr. Raj Shrestha (Research Associate in Dr. Laura Lindsey's Lab)
- Jorge Luis Rodriguez (Visiting Scholar in Dr. Laura Lindsey's Lab)
- Ricardo Ribeiro (Post Doctoral Scholar in Dr. Marília Chiavegato's Lab)
Presented on "Effects of Manure Application on Greenhouse Gas Emissions Under Crop-Livestock Integration" and "Soil Carbon Stocks Under Perennial Grasslands and Hayfields: An on-farm Assessment in Ohio".
- Victor Gomes (Post Doctoral Scholar in Dr. Alex Lindsey's Lab)
Presented on "Critical Durations of Exposure to Cold Temperatures during the Imbibition Phase in Corn" and "Narrow Row Maize Cultivation Increased Grain and Forage Yield of Hybrids in Ohio and Pennsylvania"
- Bayron Hernandez Lopez (Visiting Scholar in Dr. Alex Lindsey's Lab)
- Jhonata Cantuaria Medeiros (Visiting Scholar in Dr. Osler Ortez's Lab)
Thank you and a big congrats to everyone who took the time to share their knowledge and learn from their peers at the Tri-Societies 2023 Meeting. We can't wait to see y'all next year in San Antonio, TX, November 10-13th!