Positions and Honors
05/2019-Presnet Professor and Extension Specialist, College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, OSU and at OSU Extension, OSU Extension, OH
04/2011–04/2019l Associate Professor, College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, OSU and at OSU Extension, OSU Extension, OH.
07/2006–03/2011 Associate Professor, OSUE County Operations, Delaware County, OH.
09/2001–06/2006 Associate Professor, OSUE County Operations, Clermont County, OH.
04/1995–08/2001 Assistant Professor, OSUE County Operations, Clermont County, OH.
1994–1995 Administrative and Professional III, OSUE County Operations, Clermont County.
2019 Outstanding Book Award for “Midwest Home Fruit Production Guide” from the American Society for Horticultural Science (Editor and a co-author).
2017 National Winner in the Bound Book Category of the 2017 Communications Contest hosted by National Association of County Agricultural Agents (editor and a co-author).
2017 National Winner in the Search for Excellence program in “Young, beginning farmer and rancher” hosted by National Association of County Agricultural Agents.
Contributions to Science
Strik B, Takeda F, Gao G (2017) “Pruning and Training.” In “Blackberries and their Hybrids” published by CABI and edited by Hall, H.K. and Wallingford, R.C.F. Boston, MA: CABI. pp 169–201.
Gao GY, Chatfield, JA (2011) “Plant Growth and Development.” in “Core Training Manual the Certified Nursery Technician Program.” Ohio Nursery & Landscape Association, Columbus, Ohio. pp 31–40.
Gao GY (2007) “Fruits.” in “The BackPocket Gardener” edited by Martin, J. and published by Ohio Nursery & Landscape Association, Westerville, Ohio. pp 107–116.
- Gao GY, Becker R, Brown M, Ellis M, Prochaska S, Welty C, Williams R (2017) Midwest Home Fruit Production Guide. Location: Ohio State University Extension Bulletin 940, Columbus, OH.
- Gao YG (2013) “Soils, Fertilization, and Nutritional Disorders.” in “Midwest Blueberry Production Guide” co-authored by Barnes T, Smigell C, Strang J, Wolfe D, Wright S, Gauthier NW, Byers P, Demchak K, Ellis M, Gao G, Hanson E, Isaacs R, Johnson D, Stafne E. Published by the University of Kentucky Extension Bulletin #ID-210, University of Kentucky, Lexington. pp 25–29.
Extension Fact Sheets (Selected)
- Gao, Gary Yu and Erik Draper. Growing Blueberries in the Home Garden. Location: Ohio State University Extension, Columbus, Ohio, United States. Retrieved from http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/HYG-1422
- Gao, G.Y. Growing Strawberries in the Home Garden. Location: Ohio State University Extension, Columbus, Ohio, United States. Retrieved from http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-1424
- Gao, G.Y. Growing Peaches and Nectarines in the Home Landscape. Location: Ohio State University Extension, Columbus, Ohio, United States. Retrieved from http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-1406
- Gao, G.Y. Growing Grapes in the Home Fruit Plantings. Location: Ohio State University Extension, Columbus, Ohio, United States. Retrieved from http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-1423
- Gao, G.Y. Growing Apples in the Home Orchard. Location: Ohio State University Extension, Columbus, Ohio, United States. Retrieved from http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-1401
- Gao, Gary Yu; Erik Draper, and Rory Lewandoski. Raspberries for the Home Fruit Planting. Retrieved from http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-1421
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications (Selected)
- Xia, Y., M. R. Sahib, A. Amna, S.O. Opiyo, Z. Zhao, Y.G. Gao..(2019) Culturable endophytic fungal communities associated with plants in organic and conventional farming systems and their effects on plant growth. Scientific Reports. 9:1699 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-38230-x
- Lei Y, Duan Y, He D, Zhang X, Chen L, Li Y, Gao YG,Tian G, Zheng J (2018) Effects of urban greenspace patterns on particulate matter pollution in metropolitan Zhengzhou in Henan, China. Atmosphere 9: 1–15.
- Mu X, Wang P, Du J, Gao YG,Zhang J (2018) Comparison of fruit organic acids and metabolism related gene expression between Cerasus humilis(Bge.) Sok and Cerasus glandulosa(Thunb.) Lois. PLoS ONE 13: e0196537.
- Mu X, Wang P, Du J, Gao YG, Zhang, J (2018) The chloroplast genome of Cerasus humilis: Genomic characterization and phylogenetic analysis. PLoS ONE 13: e0196473.
- Yang ZH, Chambers ED, Gao G,Li J (2018) Internalization and dissemination of human norovirus and Tulane virus in fresh produce is plant dependent. Food Microbiol 69: 25–32.
- Gao, G.Y.; Zhou, L.; Harker, T.; Slaughter, R. et al. (2017). Effects of High Tunnel and Tile Drainage on the Yield and Ripening Time of Mature Northern Highbush Blueberries in Ohio. Journal of the NACAA, (2), Retrieved from: https://www.nacaa.com/journal/index.php?jid=780
- Qin, D.; Zhao, L.; Gao, G.; Li, F. et al. (2017). Effects of fruit thinning on ascorbate-glutathione cycle metabolism in black currants (Ribes nigrum L.). Journal of Forestry Research, (5), 903-908. doi:10.1007/s11676-016-0340-0
- Qin, D.; Wang, H.; Zhang, C.; Yu, Z. et al. (2017). Effects of GA3 and ABA on the respiratory pathways during the secondary bud burst in black currants. Journal of Forestry Research, (4), 705-712. doi:10.1007/s11676-016-0354-7
- Araud, E., DiCaprio, E., Ma, Y., Lou, F., Gao, Y., Kingsley, D., Hughes, J., Li, J. (2016). Thermal Inactivation of Enteric Viruses and Bioaccumulation of Enteric Foodborne Viruses in Live Oysters (Crassostrea virginica). Applied and Environmental Microbiology, (7), 2086–2099. doi:10.1128/AEM.03573-15
- Gao, Gary Y. (2011). Diagnosing Mineral Disorders in the Landscape. American Nurseryman, Retrieved from: http://www.amerinursery.com/article-7428.aspx
- Gao, G.; Slaughter, R.; Lewis, W.; Worley, T. (2017). A comprehensive trapping study of spotted wing drosophila (drosophila suzukii) among fruit plantings and a woodland at a research and extension center near piketon, Ohio. Journal of the NACAA, (1), Retrieved from: https://www.nacaa.com/journal/index.php?jid=715
Additional Information: Research Support and/or Scholastic Performance
- USDA/Ohio Department Specialty Crop Block Grant Program. 10/2017–9/2019 (PI). New bramble cultivars and innovative production systems, hardy figs and hardy kiwis for season extension, farm diversification, and healthy Ohio.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Award. 11/2016–9/2019 (PI). Grafted “trees” and new cultivars of blueberries for acreage expansion and farm diversification.
- Ohio Grape Industries Program. 07/2019-06/2020 (PI). Viticulture Extension for Sustainable Grape Production in Ohio.
- Research Grant by Valent USA. 08/2018–08/2020 Dr. Ye “Summer” Xia (PI). Systematic investigation of biological, chemical, physiological mechanisms and practical applications of valent endomycorrhizal fungi products in tomatoes for higher yield and quality. Role: Co-PI.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Award. 1/2016–Present. Advancing sprayer technologies for specialty crops-from components to sophisticated systems. Role: Co-PI.