Turfgrass Science Summer Camp
What is the Turfgrass Science Summer Camp like?
Director: Pamela Sherratt
Co-Directors: Dr. Karl Danneberger, Dr. David Gardner, Todd Hicks, Dr. Ed McCoy, Dr. Ed Nangle, Dr. Zane Raudenbush, Joe Rimelspach, Dr. Dave Shetlar, Dr. John Street, and Matt Williams
- Have you ever wanted to go behind the scenes at the Ohio Stadium?
- Have you ever wondered how they get logos on sports fields?
- Have you ever thought about how golf courses stay so green?
The Ohio State University is excited to announce the inaugural Turfgrass Science Summer Camp! An interdisciplinary collaboration of faculty and staff has launched the camp, developing its activities in partnership with The Ohio State University's sports facilities and grounds staff, and other local golf and sports facilities.
This week-long summer program provides a fun outdoor learning environment for middle school students to explore the big questions at the intersection of sports & plant sciences. The Turfgrass Science Summer Camp is a free camp open to rising 6th graders through rising 8th graders.
At the Turfgrass Science Summer Camp, students will learn about the different sports playing surfaces and how we utilize Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) in turfgrass science. For example, exploring plant and soil sciences, using modern technology, such as drones, learning about high-tech equipment for measuring how playing surface safety, and gathering environmental data. Camp staff will lead the students through a shared discovery of plant science, problem-solving, collaborative learning and group presentation skills.
For one week, students will spend every day from 9AM to 4PM on the beautiful Ohio State University campus. Students will get a glimpse of what it is like to be a student at The Ohio State University. They will spend each day with world-renowned faculty and staff conducting experiments, engaging in fun, hands-on, outdoor activities.
At the end of the week, they will have learned some fundamentals of turfgrass science and golf and sports field management.
Information on how to apply for this free week-long summer camp is below.
Application Closing Date: TBA
Space is limited to 20 students!
What will you do?
- Develop further interests in STEM fields.
- Acquire knowledge of turfgrasses and how we turn them into world class playing surfaces!
- Participate in outdoor hands-on laboratory activities.
- Use drone technology.
- Conduct experiments with real scientists!
- Behind the scenes of sports facilities and see what it takes to prepare for games.
- Learn from world-renowned faculty and staff at The Ohio State University.
- Open doors to different areas of science.
- Experience what it is like to learn at a college campus.
- Create lifelong friendships with students from across Columbus.
- Create your own tie-dye t-shirt and receive a certificate of completion!
Parents/Guardians drop off student(s) between 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM at the Ohio Turfgrass Foundation Research and Education Facility
2710 North Star Road
Columbus, Ohio 43221
There will be possible off-site camp visits to the following locations:
- Main Ohio State campus
- Ohio State athletics facilities
- Columbus Crew MAPFRE stadium
- Columbus Clippers Huntington Park
- Local golf courses and sports stadiums
Students must submit the following in order to apply for the Turfgrass Science Summer Camp:
- Turfgrass Science Summer Camp Application Form
- Letter of recommendation from their science teacher (emailed from their teacher to Pam Sherratt at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- One paragraph explanation of why they want to attend the summer camp.
Submit completed application form and additional materials to Pam Sherratt at email@example.com.
Contact Pam Sherratt at firstname.lastname@example.org.